Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"The Good Life" - Week 5

Week 5 - Matthew 6:11

"Give us this day our daily bread."

My prayers don't usually sound like that. I don't know about yours.

Mine are usually a bit more...more...bold.

"God, don't leave us here in want. Give us more than we can ask or imagine."
"Father, we're expecting big things! We know you are a God who does the impossible."
"Lord, break open the storehouses of heaven and make it abundantly clear you are active."

Matthew 6:11 seems like a minimalist prayer. Just today, provide. Tomorrow will have enough trouble of its own. So, give us ENOUGH for today.

Scarcity and fear are two narratives in our culture that leave us feeling helpless.

But let's remember, scarcity isn't God's problem. It's ours. He created abundance. We created scarcity through our storehouses and greed. Perhaps there is a bit of action that we commit to when we pray this prayer.

As you dwell in Matthew 6:11, here are a few questions to consider and comment on:

1) For a people who know where tomorrow's meal is already coming from, how do we, as Americans, pray this prayer?

2) Is this request a spiritual request? A physical request? How does our situation cause us to interpret this prayer?

3) Think of all of the uses of bread as a symbol throughout Scripture. How is this image used explained further by the rest of the Bible?

4) What are the pronouns "us" and "our" referring to? How broad is this request? How do these pronouns demand our participation?

5) Read Proverbs 30:8-9. How does this proverb further prompt us to pray in relation to Matthew 6:11?

6) What are some ways that Christians (those committed to putting the kingdom on display) might seek to implement this passage in order to proclaim the good news in 2012?

4 comments:

  1. As I have pondered this exact question all week I find myself convicted. I believe we are incredibly blessed, and although I know I don’t have to worry about where my food will come from tomorrow I can still pray this prayer and pray it passionately. For one, I can pray fervently and passionately that God will GIVE “US” this day our daily bread. It’s not just a prayer for me but a prayer for ALL of God’s children. I believe I can pray this prayer but I believe it is also a call to action. If I am going to passionately ask God to give “us” this day our daily bread I must also ask him to convict my heart, to show me how to live in the moment to live each day for him. Sometimes I spend so much time thinking about “saving for our future, or for a rainy day”. I need to spend the each day LIVING HIM to the world. Asking myself the questions what can I do to make myself available for God to use me as a vessel each day for him to provide the daily bread for those around me. Not just physical food but the spiritual food that God provides us each day as well.

    This verse this week has inspired me to look into my life and truly try to remember that GOD HAS PROVIDED US THIS DAY! It has convicted me to stop for a minute and to look at ways to drastically change how I think each moment of the day. Am I living each moment TODAY for Him, or am I dreaming/worrying about the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do we really know that tomorrow will come? W say we know where tomorrow's bread will be sourced, but in reality, no matter how wealthy we are we really never know. He may come in a blink of an eye, and if not right, we may not know.. Today is the day of opportunity..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about this in a way for the last few months. Ashley and I have been working with a financial advisor to get us started out on the right foot. Of course most of his advice has to do with planning for the future/retirement and being prepared in case we happen to hit a financial bump in the road. While going through this process I've often thought, "If I truly believe God will provide and take care of me, then why am I trying to take so much control of this part of my life?" If I were God, I'd probably be offended. What if Ashley and I decided to not save for retirement or emergencies, and instead used every bit of extra income we have to help those around us? (I think Abby already mentioned this) The first thought that comes to my mind is all of the ridicule of those in our society. "Micah you are just being irresponsible. It doesn't speak well for Christians if we are always having to be "bailed out" of tight situations." ...I don't think so...maybe that would give God a chance to be glorified even more! Maybe God gives me the ability to help my neighbor when they're in need, and then maybe the tables turn and they're able to help me later on down the road.

    We always say we want to be more like the church in Acts. Maybe if we commit to asking for just our "daily bread" we could release our death-grip on all of our money and stuff and really model their example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Micah I totally appreciate where you are coming from. This is an area I struggle with, if the idea of not saving anything/ trying to save anything for if there is an emergency or something I'm actually ashamed to admit sends me into a panic attack. I know this demonstrates a weakness and a lack of trust in our Lord, and I know I can stand there and say "its not bad to save for the future" or to be prepared for a rainy day... I know that the truth of the matter is a lack of trust of God. I hear the voice of my loved ones "God takes care of those who makes an effort" or "God gave you knowledge and wisdom to deal with and learn from mistakes of the past so that you can be responsible in the future" but none of these covers up the truth I have in my heart. I KNOW that God will take care of me, I KNOW and have SEEN how he has taken care of me and my family in the past and yet This control... man this control is SOOOOO HARD to let go of.... and I just don't know how to.

    ReplyDelete