Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"The Good life" - Week 13

Week 13 - Matthew 5:7

"Blessed are merciful, for they will be shown mercy."


Mercy.

It's something we beg for. It's the word we force people to say when we've got them in a compromising position. It's a word that rarely describes our world.

I've heard it said this way:
"Grace is to get something we don't deserve. Mercy is to not get something we do deserve."

This beatitude is the only one where God pronounces a reflexive blessing. The merciful receive...well...mercy.

I think there are some good reasons why this beatitude in particular is rewarded with an overflow of what we have already given to others. Meditate deeply on that idea this week.

As you dwell in Matthew 5:7, here are a few questions to consider and comment on:

1) Do you consider yourself to be a merciful person?

2) The parables of Jesus are full of examples of mercy. How do the parables change your perspective on true Christianity?

3) Why does God give mercy to the merciful? How is the gift relevant to the action?

4) Is there any link between our ability to receive mercy and give mercy?

5) Chicken or the Egg: Which comes first, receiving mercy or giving mercy?

6) What are some of the ways that Christians (those committed to putting the kingdom on display) might seek to implement this passage in order to proclaim the good news in 2012?

1 comment:

  1. I consider myself a merciful person, bu like you stated Sunday, I have a hard time receiving mercy. I also, allow my mercy to get in the way of my business. As a leader in my company, I must hold people accountable to their roles, and I tend to have more mercy than is perceived I should. My prayer daily is to do what is right by the Lord, and that he directs my hand and my feet to do what is right in his sight. This is a good lesson and your message Sunday was good!

    God bless.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete